Fun facts about Ireland
Did you know that …?
- More than one quarter of the republic’s populationBevölkerung lives in Dublin, the capitalHauptstadt of Ireland.
- Jonathan Swift (author of Gulliver's TravelsGullivers Reisen) and Bram Stoker (author of Dracula) were Irish.
- Ireland has won the Eurovision Song Contest seven times – more often than any other country.
- There are no snakes in Ireland. Legend has it thatEiner Legende nach Saint Patrick, the patron SaintSchutzheiliger of Ireland, drove them outvertrieb sie of the country.
- Irish immigrants in North America started Saint Patrick’s Day parades in the 18th century. It tookdauerte more than one hundred years for this tradition to be introducedeingeführt werden in Ireland where the first parade took place in the city of Waterford in 1903.