Some people find check and control confusing but the two words have very different meanings in English. Here, we explain the difference between check and control in English.
Mr Jones hates airports because everything always takes so long.
At check-in their tickets were checked. Then they lined up for a long time to have their hand luggage checked for liquids and gels. Then to top it off the plane was delayed whilst engineers checked the engine.
Mr Jones tried hard to contol his temper. He had to remind himself that some things in life can’t be controlled.
- inspect something to make sure that it is correct, safe, or acceptable
- At check-in their tickets were checked.
- Engineers checked the engine.
- find out about something
- Before packing, the Jones checked the weather forcast for Ireland.
- be able to make people/things do what you want
- Some things in life can’t be controlled.
- Mr Jones tried to control his temper.