Fun facts about Ireland
Did you know that …?
- More than one quarter of the republic’s population lives in Dublin, the capital of Ireland.
- Jonathan Swift (author of Gulliver's Travels) and Bram Stoker (author of Dracula) were Irish.
- Ireland has won the Eurovision Song Contest seven times – more often than any other country.
- There are no snakes in Ireland. Legend has it that Saint Patrick, the patron Saint of Ireland, drove them out of the country.
- Irish immigrants in North America started Saint Patrick’s Day parades in the 18th century. It took more than one hundred years for this tradition to be introduced in Ireland where the first parade took place in the city of Waterford in 1903.