The verbs spend and donate can be tricky for English learners because the are false friend in other languages. Read the examples belows then do the exercise to test your knowledge.
Sarah is going to spend the day cleaning out her wardrobe.
Sarah spends a lot of money on her clothes and they are all in very good condition.
Which is why she plans on donating them to charity.
- use money to pay for things
- Sarah spends a lot of money on clothes.
- use time (an hour, an afternoon,a day, a weekend, a year, a lifetime etc)
- She is going to spend the day cleaning out her wardrobe.
- use energy, effort until it is all gone
- At the end of the day Sarah was exhauseted. She had spent all her energy cleaning.
- give something i.e. money, clothes or food away to benefit other people
- She wants to donate some clothes to chairty.
- have blood or organs removed and given to someone else
- Every year, her family donates blood to the red cross.