display incorrect answers
Write the following sentences in indirect speech.
Pay attention to backshift and the changes to pronouns, time, and place.
- Two weeks ago, he said, “I visited this museum last week.”
→ Two weeks ago, he said that .I → he|simple past → past perfect|this → that|last …→ the … before
- She claimed, “I am the best for this job.”
→ She claimed that .I → she|simple present→ simple past|this→ that
- Last year, the minister said, “The crisis will be overcome next year.”
→ Last year, the minister said that .will → would|next …→ the following …
- My riding teacher said, “Nobody has ever fallen off a horse here.”
→ My riding teacher said that .present perfect → past perfect|here→ there
- Last month, the boss explained, “None of my co-workers has to work overtime now.”
→ Last month, the boss explained that .my → his/her|simple present→ simple past|now→ then